RootsTech Conference

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Humor + Genealogy

I love genealogy, but I also love to have a laugh. So, if I don't have time to do an in depth search, I just read the genealogy jokes. They are the best and are SO TRUE! So here you go:



The Elusive Ancestor
I went searching for an ancestor, I can not find him still
He moved around from place to place and did not leave a will
He married where the courthouse burned. He mended all his fences
He avoided any man who came to take the U.S. census
He always kept his luggage packed, this man who had no fame
and every 20 years or so, this rascal changed his name
His parents came from europe, they should be on some list
of passengers to U.S.A., but somehow they got missed
And no one else in the world is searching for this man
So, I play geneasolitare to find him if i can
I'm told he's buried in a plot, with a tombstone he was blessed
But the weather took engravings and some vandals took the rest
He died before the county clerks decided to keep records
No family bible has emerged, in spite of all my efforts
To top it off, this ancestor, who's caused me many groans
Just to give me one more pain, betrothed a girl name jones
 
Genealogists say the funniest things!!
These quotes are actual correspondences received by the lds church
***We are sending you 5 children in a separate envelope.
***My grandfather died at the age of 3.
***Will you please send me the name of my first wife? I have forgotten her name.
***The wife of 22 could not be found. somebody suggested that she might have been stillborn-what do you think?
***Further research will be necessary to eliminate one of the parents.
***He and his daughter are listed as not being born.
***Iwould like to find out it i have any living relatives or dead relatives or ancestors in my family.
***A 14 year old boy wrote: "I do not want you to do the research for me. Will you please send me all the material on the Welch line, in the US, England, and Scotland countries? I will do the research".
***We lost our grandmother, will you send us a copy?
 

Only a genealogist would understand.........
*Geneology is not a hobby.....it's an obsession.
*Give me your tired, your poor......they're genealogists!
*I've been researching my family tree......apparently I don't exist!
*I use to have a life.....then I started genealogy!
*My family tree must have been used for fire wood.
*Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress.
*What do you mean my grandparents didn't have any children!?!
*Who ever said "Seek and you shall find" was not a genealogist!
Credit to: 
http://www.blueriver.net/~ckgooden/fun.html






No comments:

Post a Comment