RootsTech Conference

Sunday, April 6, 2014

LDS general conference, Saturday

I was out on a run for the Saturday morning session, (I'm training for a marathon) But I heard it was good. I did get some good things about genealogy during the afternoon session. Cook's talk was especially good.

At the beginning of the conference the choir sang, "I lived in Heaven". One line stuck out to me "eternal salvation for man" Family history is about eternal salvation for the dead, family history/genealogy is included in our Heavenly Fathers Plan of Salvation. Which makes family history even more important, if it is included in the plan of salvation. Matt. 16:19 says: "whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven" If we do the work on earth, it will last in heaven.

One of the speakers, I think it was Cook, basically said the mission statement of genealogy, The hearts of the fathers will be turned to the children and the children to their fathers. It is wha. t happens when the spirit of Elijah touches, each of our hearts. Mal. 4:6 says: "Turn the heart of the fathers to the children" It is basically the same thing that Cook said.

Another reason family history is important is because Heaven, is based off of families. Sealing's are so important because "whatsoever thou shalt  bind on earth shall be bound in heaven" Matt. 16:19. We want to be with our families forever. Those people in my tree aren't just names. They are real people and I want to be with them forever. I do the work so we can meet face to face. I have already met them in spirit. I can't wait till I can meet all of them. Especially the two ladies I was named after. Ruby Huish and Ruby Nielson.

Don't underestimate the influence of dead people. Cook is correct. Don't underestimate the influence. They will help you. I have felt it. They can help you break through your brick wall to discover them. They will help you in all that is good.

He also said "without our roots and branches we cannot be saved." A tree without it's roots will die, a tree with no branches produces no food. If you have your roots, but no branches, you get no fruit. You need your fruit to survive. Take the chance and find your fruit and harvest new branches.

No comments:

Post a Comment